|Getting Started in Online Learning|
Frequently Asked Questions - Browsers and Technology
Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Blackboard and Central Arizona College Online Learning. Click the question to display the answer.
Blackboard is compatible or certified for use with the following operating systems and browser combinations:
- Windows XP - Internet Explorer 8, Firefox and Chrome
- Windows Vista - Internet Explorer 8 or 9, Firefox and Chrome
- Windows 7 - Internet Explorer 8 or 9, Firefox and Chrome
- Windows 8 - Internet Explorer 10, Firefox and Chrome
- Mac OS 10.6 “Snow Leopard” - Safari 4 or 5, Firefox and Chrome
- Mac OS 10.7 "Lion” - Safari 5 or 6, Firefox and Chrome
- Mac OS 10.8 "Mountain Lion" - Safari 5 or 6, Firefox and Chrome
For a more complete listing of operating system and browser compatibility click here.
When using America Online and "Internet Explorer Optimized for AOL" it is recommended to use the "No AOL Customizations" option. For more information click here.
It is very important that you have up-to-date anti-virus software on your computer when taking an online class. A computer virus could interfere with your ability to access your class and could cause you to fall behind.
The "certified" browsers have been certified by Blackboard Learning Systems. They are fully tested and supported. If your computer is correctly configured for cookies, java, and pop-ups you should not experience problems when using Blackboard.
The "compatible" browsers have been tested by Blackboard Learning Systems in all of the high use areas. These browsers have not been tested as fully as the "recommended" browsers. It is possible that you might experience some difficulty when using Blackboard.
The complete list of recommended and compatible browsers is located in the “Operating Systems and Browser Requirements” section.
Check your browser settings. Verify that you are using a supported operating system and browser combination. Make sure that Java is enabled and cookies are not blocked. Make sure that no extra toolbars are installed.
This problem is most common in Internet Explorer as Internet Explorer has both “text size” setting and a “zoom” setting.
On the Internet Explorer menu bar, click on View, Text Size. If the menu bar is not displaying in Internet Explorer press the ALT key to bring up the menu bar.
In order for text to display correctly in Blackboard, the text size should be set to Medium. If text size is "smaller" or "smallest" the text in Blackboard will be too small to read. If text size is "largest" the text in Blackboard will probably be too large for your monitor's display area.
In most other browsers the text size can be easily adjusted by pressing the CTRL key and the + or – key at the same time. CTRL+ will increase the text size. CTRL- will reduce the text size.
- Blackboard and Online Learning Support is available in many forms to meet different needs. We can be contacted via e-mail, phone, instant messaging, web conference and walk-in.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 520-494-5293 (Deanna) or 520-494-5525 (Charlie)
- Location: Signal Peak Campus, Interactive Learning Center, O206 and O207
- E-mail Support - email@example.com
- Tutoring and other academic support is provided through the learning centers on each campus. Click for Tutoring Services information.