Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

The Federal regulations require that financial aid students maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward an eligible degree or certificate program.  This policy applies to student applying for Title IV financial aid, including: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work-Study (FWS), Arizona Leveraging Educational Assistance Program (AzLEAP), and Federal Direct Stafford Loans (Stafford Subsidized, Stafford Unsubsidized, and Parent PLUS).

SAP is reviewed at the end of each semester to determine financial aid eligibility for the upcoming semester.  SAP is evaluated on students' previous enrollment, regardless of whether or not they received financial aid.  A student's entire academic history at CAC is considered when evaluating SAP standing even when financial aid was not received.  Even if students have never received federal financial aid, they may be placed on probation or suspension based on low cumulative GPA and/or exceeding the 150% rule and/or a low credit completion rate during their most recent semester at CAC.

If a student is not making satisfactory progress, the student may appeal that decision based on mitigating circumstances.  Procedures and forms for the appeal process and reinstatement of federal financial aid are available through the Financial Aid Office.

The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is also available to students in the college catalog.

If a student's status is unsatisfactory due to a complete withdraw, the financial aid office will perform a Return to Title IV Calculation (R2T4) for that semester to determine the amount of aid that may need to be returned and if the student has a grant overpayment the student will be notified by mail. The student may pay the grant overpayment directly to the school if during the same academic year, at the end of the academic year any uncollected overpayments will be turned over to the Department of Education for collections.

Content on this page is provided by Financial Aid.

Central Arizona College - District Office 8470 N. Overfield Road, Coolidge, AZ 85128 Phone: 800-237-9814