Finalize Payment

Finalize Payment

When is my payment due? 

Payment is due at the time of registration.

What forms of payment are accepted?

Cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or American Express, enrollment in the BankMobile payment plan, third-party authorization, or financial aid.

How does the payment plan work?

Students can enroll in the BankMobile payment plan through their online student services account.  There is a $35 non-refundable enrollment fee.  Students can opt to pay with automatic payments through a checking account or credit card or students may pay monthly as billed, again paying with a credit card or echeck.  Late fees apply if payments are not made on time. Depending on when you enroll, you may be able to make 5 payments for the Spring and Fall semesters or 4 payments for each of the summer sessions. To find out more about the payment plan, request a brochure at the Cashier's Office. You must re-enroll in a payment plan every semester/term.

Where can I make a payment?

Save time, pay online. Credit or debit card payments and payment using eCheck can be made online by logging into your student account.  You may also call the Cashier's Office at Signal Peak, Superstition Mountain, Maricopa, or Aravaipa campuses to make payments by credit or debit card.  Cash, check and credit card payments can be made in person at the Signal Peak, Superstition Mountain, Maricopa, or Aravaipa campuses only.

Students can mail checks to the District Office at Central Arizona College, ATTN: Cashier's Office, 8470 North Overfield Road, Coolidge, AZ 85128. Please be sure to include your student ID number with your payment.

I am expecting financial aid, now what?

If you have received an award letter from financial aid, your student account will reflect the release of your financial aid to your student billing account within 2 weeks of the first day of class.   If your award is in excess of the tuition and fees on your account a refund will be issued through your Higher One card, bank account as a direct deposit or a check will be mailed from BankMobile.  The excess financial aid is usually funded or paid to you by the end of the 3rd week of school depending on bank holidays.   (Option of one of these 3 methods must be made through BankMobile, unless under 18.)   If you are under 18, a CAC check will be mailed to the address we have on file as no BankMobile card will be mailed to you, until you turn 18.  If you have not received an award letter, and your financial aid is pending, you must pay in full or sign up for the payment plan. The payment plan can be terminated upon the student's request and you will receive a refund (if applicable) when your financial aid is awarded if it is in excess of the tuition and fees on your account. 

Content on this page is provided by Finance.

Central Arizona College - District Office 8470 N. Overfield Road, Coolidge, AZ 85128 Phone: 800-237-9814