Once you have registered and attended first week of class you will need to complete an admission package to be able to go to the clinical site, and this will need to be completed in full.
Where to purchase scrubs: If you are looking for scrubs we are now affiliated with the following company who has given our students a discount Scrubs & Scopes.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor and Statistics, employment of laboratory workers, including phlebotomy technicians, is expected to grow as the volume of the lab tests increases with both population and the development of new types of lab tests.
Phlebotomists are responsible for a wide array of duties and as a result are trained in a number of different skills:
- Drawing blood for use in clinical laboratory testing.
- Related clerical, routine laboratory tasks, and computer entry.
- Significant training to prepare them for the responsibility of performing a delicate microsurgical procedure.
- Taking precautions to prevent the spread of infectious diseases such as wearing PPE supplies (gloves, mask, and gown).
Personal traits that are helpful for a phlebotomist to have are; great attention to detail and organizational skills, good hand-eye coordination, good personal relations with patients. Due to the importance of the phlebotomist role: The phlebotomist must adhere to confidentiality restrictions as doctors and nurses. A phlebotomist must be trustworthy, have integrity, and strictly follow safety precautions.
- Central Arizona College offers an eight week didactic/classroom and eight week clinical/practicum program.
- Courses are offered at the Superstition Mountain Campus and/or the Signal Peak Campus. Please refer to the current schedule for times and dates classes are offered.
- The prerequisites to take this course include GED/HS diploma and pass reading test, immunizations, tuberculoses (TB) skin test, background check and drug screen.
- Must complete 100 successful venipunctures.
- Have 180 hours in an 8 week clinical setting.
- Observe a blood gas with respiratory therapy.
- Complete 10 successful dermal punctures.
For the most up-to-date program requirements, please refer to the current Central Arizona College catalog.
If you need more information please call Health Careers; Nicole Thompson on 480-677-7787 or you can email email@example.com