|Health Information Management Program Information|
The Health Information Management Program (HIM) prepares students for a career that places them in the expanding arena of healthcare meeting the cutting edge of technology. RHITs are health information technicians who work to ensure the quality of health records and health care data by verifying their completeness, accuracy, and proper entry into computer systems. They use computer applications to assemble and analyze patient data to improve patient care and control healthcare costs. In addition, RHITs may specialize in specific HIM functions such as coding and reimbursement, research, software development or clinical data management services.
Although our curriculum follows AHIMA’s required Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) exam competencies; with such a broad selection of job opportunities we encourage our students to research their fields of interest and develop the necessary skills, knowledge and networks to initiate a successful career path.
The Health Information Technology (HIM) A.A.S. degree program prepares students with the knowledge and technical skills necessary for managing and improving the quality of information within the healthcare delivery system. This degree’s focal point is the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) entry-level competencies. Students enrolled in the Health Information Management program must complete a total of 71 credit hours: 27 General education requirements, 5 pre-requisites and 39 concentrations which include a 180 hour internship at a health care facility.
Frequently asked Questions
Is this the right career choice for me?
The Health Information Management program is an excellent career choice for the person who is seeking a healthcare profession that combines interests in:
• Healthcare and Human Sciences
• Computer Science
• Law and Ethics
How do I get started?
The following are the steps you will need to apply to the Central Arizona College’s Health Information Management program....You will need to:
- Apply to Central Arizona College for admission: https://banportal1.centralaz.edu/bannerp/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon
- You may be required to take a college placement exam and/or bring with you a copy of your unofficial transcript from an accredited college.
- Consult with an advisor and then contact the Health Information Management Director for further advisement: firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for classes (Financial Aid, etc...)
- Fill out and send your HIM program package to: email@example.com
- Applications being accepted now for Fall 2015 Start. Deadline is April 30, 2015.