Following 6 easy steps prepares students to enter CAC this coming spring semester

By Tom Di Camillo

PINAL COUNTY, Ariz. – Registration for the 2011 fall semester now is underway at all 10 of Central Arizona College’s campuses and centers located throughout Pinal County.

Central Arizona College has developed six easy steps for anyone to earn college credits, take personal interest classes, pick up non-degree or community classes, or explore the numerous degree and certificate programs offered by the institution.

Students entering college for the first time or returning after an extended break should request a MAP - or Master Academic Plan - to help maximize their educational experience. Transfer students or students taking non-degree courses also may follow the same MAP for easy entry into CAC.

Continuing students – defined as those who were enrolled in the previous semester – are urged to meet with an academic advisor to review their progress in their selected program.

In the following six-step process, continuing students may start with Step 3.

Step 1 - Apply to Central Arizona College

Who can attend? Just about anyone.

“Central Arizona College is a public institution of higher education with an open admission policy,” Dr. Doris Helmich, vice president for student services, said. “An open admission policy means that admission to the college and access to educational opportunities may be granted to any person without regard to age, completion or non-completion of a high school diploma or GED, physical disability, economic status, and social or ethnic background.”

For further information on admission procedures, potential students are encouraged to call their local campus or the college’s customer service help desk at 520-494-5111.

Students will receive orientation information by mail with the admission acceptance letter.

“We have simplified the application process so taking that first step toward a college education is not so overwhelming,” Helmich said.
Prospective students should complete and submit a Central Arizona College admission form prior to attending an orientation session or registering for classes. The signed and dated form is submitted to the Records Office for processing.

Incoming students may call any Central Arizona College campus or center and ask to speak with an admissions representative for help. Forms may be submitted in person, faxed (520-494-5083) or completed online at

Admission forms also may be mailed to the District Office at the following address:

Central Arizona College
Admissions and Records Office
8470 North Overfield Road
Coolidge, AZ 85128

Step 2 - Attend an Orientation Session

“Orientation sessions introduce new students to each other and to Central Arizona College staff and resources,” Helmich said. “Each campus conducts orientation to meet the needs of its students.”

Orientation topics include academic programs, payment options, financial aid, library services, residence life, tutoring services, athletics and student activities. Becoming familiar with these resources really can help new students acclimate to college life.

“All new students are invited to attend an orientation session,” she added. “Orientation is held prior to a student’s enrollment and is unique on each campus. We encourage students to contact their campus of choice for more information.”

Step 3 - See an Academic Advisor

New students are required to meet with an academic advisor to discuss academic goals and review academic history and test scores. The advisor will help the student select courses based on skill level and interests.

“Continuing students in a degree or certificate program should review their program of study with an academic advisor each semester,” Helmich explained. “This helps ensure that the schedule a student is planning is appropriate for that specific degree program. It really helps keep the students on track.”

Students returning to college after a break in enrollment should meet with an academic advisor to review their academic history and discuss the next steps toward completing their program.

Students transferring from another college must meet with an advisor to determine if course placement is required. Official transcripts must be sent to the Records Office, but students may bring an unofficial transcript when meeting with an advisor the first time to help facilitate admission and scheduling.

Central Arizona College not only makes its academic advisors available to students at its campuses and centers, but advising also is performed online via e-mail ( or by phone (520-494-5410).

Step 4 - Register for Classes

Registration for the spring semester is ongoing through Jan. 15. The semester will begin on Tuesday, Jan. 18.

Students who are following a degree or certificate program may register for classes by bringing a completed and signed registration form to the Records Office at a local campus or by registering online at

“We encourage students, especially new students, to ask for help if they need it,” Helmich said. “Those first steps into college can be daunting.”

Although there is no phone registration at Central Arizona College, students may call the CAC Customer Service Desk for help at 520-494-5111 or toll free at 800-237-9814, ext. 5111 from 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. on Friday.

Step 5 - On-Campus Housing

Available only at the Signal Peak Campus, on-campus housing makes commuting to class cost-effective, efficient and easy.

Students interested in living on the Signal Peak Campus should complete a housing application, submit a $100 deposit, and provide proof of immunization to the Residence Life Office (520-494-5470).

While housing is available for students for the spring semester, students interested in on-campus living are encouraged to apply early.

Step 6 - Finalize Payment

Payment for classes is due at the time of registration and is accepted in the form of cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. Students also may pay by enrolling in the nelnet (formerly FACTS) payment plan, submitting a third-party authorization, or qualifying for financial aid.

Students can easily enroll in the nelnet payment plan by going to the CAC website -

There is a $30 non-refundable enrollment fee and students must have a checking or savings account, debit or accepted credit card to participate.

Central Arizona College - District Office 8470 N. Overfield Road, Coolidge, AZ 85128 Phone: 800-237-9814