Boat safety in the desert? CAC offers course this Saturday at the SaddleBrooke Center
By Guy Harrison
SADDLEBROOKE, Ariz. – There is still time to register for Central Arizona College’s Boating Safety course this Sat., July 31, at the SaddleBrooke Center.
The class will be instructed by Mike Devine, a U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary certified instructor, and will be held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cost of the class is $32.50 per student.
This beginner boating class provides the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification in many states. Many boat insurance companies will offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete Boating Safety.
During the course, students will learn:
· An overview of boating - Types of power boats; sailboats; outboards; paddle boats; houseboats; different uses of boats; various power boating engines; jet drives; family boating basics.
· Boating Law - Boat registration; boating regulation; hull identification number; required boat safety equipment; operating safely and reporting accidents; protecting the marine environment; federal boat law; state boating laws; personal watercraft requirements.
· Boat Safety Equipment - Personal flotation devices ("life jackets"); fire extinguishers; sound producing devices; visual-distress signals; dock lines and rope; first aid kit; anchors and anchor lines; other boating safety equipment.
· Safe Boating - Bow riding; alcohol and drug abuse; entering, loading, and trimming a boat; fueling portable and permanent tanks; steering with a tiller and a wheel; docking, undocking and mooring; knots; filing a float plan; checking equipment, fuel, weather and tides; using charts; choosing and using an anchor; safe PWC handling; general water safety.
· Navigation - The U.S. Aids to Navigation system; types of buoys and beacons; navigation rules (sometimes referred to as right-of-way rules); avoiding collisions; sound signals; PWC "tunnel vision."
· Boating Problems - Hypothermia; boating accidents and rescues; man overboard recovery; capsizing; running aground; river hazards; strainers: emergency radio calls; engine problems; equipment failures; carbon monoxide (CO); other boating and PWC problems.
· Trailering, Storing and Protecting Your Boat - Types of trailers; trailer brakes, lights, hitches, tires, and bearings; loading, balancing, and towing a trailer; towing (and backing) a trailer; boat launching and retrieving; boat storage and theft protection; launching, retrieving and storing a PWC.
· Hunting and Fishing, Water-skiing and River Boating - Carrying hunting gear and weapons in a boat; fishing from a boat; water-skiing safety guidelines and hand signals; water-skiing with a PWC; navigating rivers, and other boating tips.
Devine is a USCG Auxiliary Certified Instructor, and is USCGA-qualified as boat crew and in radio communications.
For more information, please contact Benny DeSantiago at 520-357-2812.