|Arizona Board Of Regents (ABOR) Definition of a Unit of Credit|
For the Chapter on Academic Policies go to:
"Section 2-206 Academic Credit
A. Definition of a Unit of Credit
An hour of work is the equivalent of 50 minutes of classtime (often called a "contact hour") or 60 minutes of independent study work. A minimum of 45 hours of work by each student is required for each unit of credit. Ordinarily, a course must cover a one-week period for every unit of credit given. During summer sessions, however, six units of credit may be given over a five-week period.
- At least 15 contact hours of recitation, lecture, discussion, testing or evaluation, seminar, or colloquium, as well as a minimum of 30 hours of student homework is required for each unit of credit;
- Workshops must involve a minimum of 45 hours for each unit of credit, including a minimum of 15 contact hours, with the balance of the requirement in homework;
- Studios must involve at least 30 contact hours and at least 15 hours of homework for each unit of credit;
- Laboratory courses require a minimum of 45 contact hours per unit of credit;
- Field trips will be counted hour-for-hour as laboratory meetings;
- Each unit of internship or practicum must require a minimum of 45 clock hours of work; and
- Music instruction and specialized types of music performance offerings must conform to the requirement for accreditation of the National Association of Schools of Music."